A plant based protein powder can be a good alternative to a Halal Whey protein powder since the later is hard to find in most countries. In this series of plant based protein powders, I am going to test and review some of the best selling brands.
What Is Orgain Plant Based Protein Powder
Orgain Organic Protein Powder is a vegan protein powder made from three organic plants, namely: Organic pea, organic brown rice, and organic chia seeds.
It comes in the following 8 flavors:
- Vanilla bean
- Vanilla almond
- Chocolate peanut butter
- Peanut butter
- Cookies and cream
- Creamy chocolate fudge
- Iced matcha tea
- Natural unsweetened
And is available in 4 sizes:
- 1,59 pounds (721 grams)
- 2,03 pounds (980 grams)
- 2,74 pounds ( 1,24 kg)
- 10 single servings of 1,62OZ (46 grams)
What Is In an Orgain Organic Protein Powder
The version I tested is the 2 pounds (920 grams) vanilla bean flavor which offers 20 servings of 46 grams (2 scoops) for 150 calories, contains the following ingredients:
- 21 grams of protein per serving including protein from pea, brown rice, and chia seeds
- 5 grams of organic dietary fiber
- 15 grams of carbohydrates
- 0 gram of sugar
- 4 grams of fats or 6% of daily value
- 180 mg of sodium or 8% of daily value
60 mg of potassium or 2% od RDI
- Calcium (10%) and iron (10%)
- 5 grams of Erythritol, a naturally occurring sugar alcohol in some fruits and fermented foods
- Stevia for sweetening
- Organic acacia gum, xanthan gum, and organic guar gum as fillers and thickeners
- Sea salt
- Organic rice bran extract is an oil extracted from the hard outer of rice grain. It’s used for its antioxidant properties thanks to its essential fatty acids
- Organic sunflower oil
- Organic natural flavors
- Organic rosemary extract
- Organic inulin, a type of fiber
Benefits and Effectiveness of Orgain Plant Based Protein Powder
When coupled with a proper training program, protein intake can help you build more muscle, lose fat, and overall live healthy.
Orgain Protein Powder provides 21 grams of protein per serving which is approximately the standard amount we find in quality and reliable protein powders. It also has some fibers to help you stay fuller, calcium and iron, and plenty of other organic ingredients.
However, the Orgain protein powder do contain a lot of carbs, 15 grams per 21 grams of protein, which is not ideal for someone looking to build lean muscle mass.
Overall, there isn’t much to dislike about this plant based protein powder, except for some fillers and thickeners (xanthan gum and guar gum), which may cause some people bloating and nausea. This vegan protein is also Kosher-certified and Halal-friendly for those with a restricted diet!
Orgain Organic Protein Powder Tastiness, Mixability, and Price
I didn’t test all the available flavors, but the one I tested, vanilla bean, tastes great. It’s smooth with a sandy feeling, and the vanilla flavor is awesome and don’t taste like anything artificial. Hence, there’s no artificial flavors or sweeteners in this protein.
It also mixes very well with no lumps. I only mixed it with water, but you can try it too with other liquids. It seems to go well with almond milk according to customers testimonials on both Amazon and Orgain website.
As for the price, a container of 2,03 pounds (980 grams) can go from $20 to $30, depending on where you buy it (Amazon or Orgain store) and if there’s any promotion on the product.
But let’s take an average price of $25 for a 2,03 pound (980 grams) container. That’s 6,2 cents per gram, which is approximately in line with ON Plant Based Protein powder’s price.
So it’s neither expensive nor inexpensive.
Orgain Organic Protein Powder Review Summary
To sum it up, there isn’t much to dislike about Orgain Organic Protein Powder and a lot of good things to like:
- It’s organic
- It’s vegan
- Has 21 grams of protein per serving
- Has no artificial flavors, sweeteners or colors
- It’s gluten-free, soy-free, and non-GMO
- Manufactured in the USA
- It’s Kosher and Halal-friendly
- Contains different fillers and thickeners
- It’s high in carbs