The Gold Standard 100% Plant Based Protein Powder is the little sister of the famous Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein Powder from Optimum Nutrition. So let’s see if its new vegan protein powder is as good as its well known iconic brand!
- Vitamin C Provides Immune Support
- Complete Amino Acid Profile to support muscle recovery
- 24 grams of complete, organic, plant-based protein sourced from a blend of Organic Pea, Organic Rice, and Organic Sacha Inchi proteins
- USDA Organic & Non-GMO, Vegan, No artificial flavors, colors or sweeteners
- Gluten-free, all-grain complex made with ancient grains Amaranth, Quinoa, Buckwheat, Millet and Chia
- Organic Pomegranate Powder
What Is In a Gold Standard 100% Plant Based Protein Powder
ON’s Gold Standard vegan protein is a blend of pea, brown rice, and sacha inchi proteins with no artificial flavors, sweeteners or colors.
One container of 1.5 pound (684 grams) contains up to 19 servings of 38 grams for less than 150 calories:
- 24 grams of protein
- 4 grams of BCAAs
- 4 grams of Glutamine
- 3 grams of fats of which 0.5 grams are saturated
- 7 grams of carbohydrates
- 2 grams of dietary fibers
- 1 gram of sugar
- 90 mg of vitamin C or 100% of the Reference Daily Intake (RDI)
- 8 mg of Calcium or 8%
- 4.6 mg of Iron or 25%
- 0.6 mg of Vitamin B12 or 25%
- 220 mg of Potassium or 4%.
- Grain blend of Amaranth, Quinoa, Buckwheat, Millet and Chia
- Organic Pomegranate Powder (Natural flavor)
- Stevia (Sweetener)
- Gum arabic, xanthan gum, and guar gum: Fillers and thickeners
- Ascorbic acid and cyanocobalamin: Vitamins
This vegan protein is also USDA organic, non-GMO, and gluten-free.
Benefits and Effectiveness of Gold Standard 100% Plant Based Protein Powder
The ON’s Gold Standard Plant Based protein powder contains 24 grams of protein per serving which is the standard amount of protein to expect from a quality protein brand. That is also a sufficient amount of protein to build muscles when training properly.
Note also that this protein has fewer than 1 gram of sugar and less than 7 grams of carbohydrates, which is very appropriate if you want to build lean muscles.
The addition of BCAAs and Glutamine will help you train harder and recover faster. While the addition of Vitamin C and B12 and iron will get you some good micronutrients to balance your diet.
Now let’s take a look into the three protein sources of this plant based protein powder to see if it has any extra benefits compared to a traditional whey protein powder:
Organic Pea Protein
Pea is the richest plant based protein available and widely used in vegan and vegetarian protein powders. It’s also suitable for anyone seeking Halal-friendly or Kosher protein powders.
While it can be a bit disgusting if used alone, when mixed with other ingredients (proteins, sweeteners, or flavors) it’s easy to swallow.
- Easy to digest
- High in protein
- High in BCAAs
- Low in carbohydrates
- Rich in iron
- Good for heart health
However, people on a sodium-restricted diet may have to take it cautiously as organic pea protein can sometimes contain a high dosage of sodium.
Organic Brown Rice Protein
The second source of protein in the Gold Standard 100% plant based protein powder is brown rice, which is:
- High in protein
- High in BCAAs (Valine, leucine, isoleucine)
- Easily digested
- Good for liver functions
- Good for body’s glycemic response
Organic Sacha Inchi Protein
The third source for our Gold Standard vegan protein is organic sacha inchi plant which is a seed from the highlands of Peru.
This protein is:
- Easily digested
- High in protein with 8.5 grams of protein per ounce
- Rich in omega 3, 6, and 9
- Good for insulin sensitivity
- Good for brain health
- High in phytochemicals and antioxidants
- Rich in potassium, magnesium, and calcium
- Good for regulating cholesterol levels
Gold Standard 100% Plant Based Protein Powder (1.5 pound Chocolate) Tastiness, Mixability, and Price
The ON’s Gold Standard 100% Plant Based protein powder I tested is the 1.5 pound or 684 grams chocolate flavor.
The taste isn’t as smooth as the Gold Standard 100% Whey protein powder, it feels a little sandy on my tongue, but it tastes great, and it’s one of the best tasting vegan protein powders.
As for the mixability, it mixes well and easily.
The price of a 1.5 pound container is around $30, which isn’t that expensive for a quality plant based protein powder. However, you can’t save on size as this is the largest size you’ll get from Optimum Nutrition.
Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Plant Based Protein Powder Review Summary
- A good amount of protein 524 grams)
- The presence of BCAAs, Glutamine, and Vitamin C and B12
- Low in carbohydrates, fats, and sugar
- A blend of three organic plant protein : pea, brown rice, and sacha inchi
- USDA organic and free of gluten and lactose
- Great taste and easy mixability
- No artificial flavors, colors or sweeteners
- A great and reliable brand
- Not available in large sizes (more than 2 pounds)
- The presence of some fillers and thickeners ( differents gums)